- When multiplying 9’s; write 9 to 0 in the ones column and 0 through 9 in the 10’s column.
This gives you the nines tables.
- How many feet are in a mile? 5 tomatoes
( 5 )five ( 2 )to ( 8 )mat (0)oes
- To remember where the states, California, Oregon and Washington are, it spells COW.
- Treble Line in reading music: Notes EGBDF
Every Good Boy Does Fine. (Treble is people)
- Treble Space in reading music: FACE (Treble is people)
- Bass line in reading music: GBDFA
Great Big Dogs Fight Animals (Bass is animals)
- Bass Space in reading music:
All Cows Eat Grass (Bass is animals)
- The order of the planets.
My = Mercury
Very = Venus
Educated = Earth
Mother = Mars
Just = Jupiter
Showed = Saturn
Us = Uranus
Nine = Neptune
Planets = Pluto
(This is what I learned in school, now that Pluto is officially not a planet, I don’t have a new one.)
- When trying to remember the compass, always remember that it spells WE across. (West to East)
- He pat my liver, is good to remember that HEPAT is the Latin for liver.
- When dividing fractions don’t ask why but flip the last one and multiply.
- 4 quarts = 1 gallon like 4 quarters = $1.00
- Order of Division
Driving = Divide
My = Multiply
Super = Subtract
Cool = Compare
Buggy = Bring Down
- < & > Less than and greater than
> always eats the bigger number because he is hungrier.
< always points the little number.
(i.e. 3 < 7)
- The 11 Times Trick – We know the trick when multiplying by ten – add 0 to the end of the number, but 11’s are simple as well when multiplying by double digits.
Take the original number and imagine a space between the two digits (in this example we will use 52:
Now add the two numbers together and put them in the middle:
That is it – you have the answer: 572.
If the numbers in the middle add up to a 2 digit number, just insert the second number and add 1 to the first:
1089 – It works every time.
- To get the first eight digits of pi, count the number of letters in each word of this phrase:
May(3) I(1) have(4) a(1) large(5) container(9) of(2) coffee (6)?
- Divide a number by 3? Just add up all the digits until you have a single number. If THAT number is divisible by three, so is the original number. (I.e. 4545 . If you add 4+5+4+5 you get 18. Then add 1+8, which equals 9. Nine is divisible by three, so you know that 4545 is too.)
- Order of taxonomy in biology:
Kids Prefer Cheese Over Fried Green Spinach (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species)
- Red sky at night, sailor’s delight; (meaning pretty day)
Red sky at morn, sailor’s be warned. (meaning storms)
- MISSISSIPPI – M,i, crooked letter, crooked letter, i, crooked letter, crooked letter, i, hump back, hump back, i.
- A song to learn the order of the presidents of the United States of America.
Hard to spell but easy heard.
It need not cause you irritation,
Just drop the ON from CIN CIN NATION.
“Just remember to spell it with two tees and four s.”
We can’t tell the difference between Tuscan and Tucson.
The best way to end typographical stress
Is to remember to put the C before S.
H-Huron, O-Ontario, M-Michigan, E-Erie, S-Superior (I had forgotten this one but Mom2fur had given that suggestion to us.) I love it!
H/T to ilovemy5kids